Welcome to the home of the Excel Writer plugin for Kettle a.k.a PDI
The Excel Writer plugin is in the official Kettle distribution now!
From Kettle 4.2 onwards, the Excel Writer step is available in the official Kettle distribution. So if you got Kettle 4.2 RC1 or above, it’s already included. The plugin is now maintained directly in the Kettle sources, so if there’s anything you’d like to correct or add, feel free to file a JIRA request.
If you’d like to spice up the Excel writing capabilities of Petnaho Kettle, the Excel Writer plugin might be for you. The plugin is available for Kettle 3.2.x and Kettle 4.0.x, 4.1.x under LGPL 2.1. The plugin is donation-ware: you can download it in the downloads section and use it in any way you like.
- XLS and XLSX file format support
- support for template files
- support for template sheets in existing files
- support for writing to existing sheets
- flexible data appending options
- support for cell comments
- support for cell hyperlinks
- support for formulas
- supports custom header and footer titles
- output cells can inherit style from pre-styled cells
The downloads contain the installation-ready plugin, the sources, and a set of samples to show how to utilize most of its features. Enjoy
Plugin Version 1.3
Plugin Version 1.2
Fixes in Version 1.3
- Improved memory management.
- Added scroll bars to the step dialog, as it may be too big to fit on some screens.
Fixes in Version 1.2
- Upgraded underlying POI library to 3.7
- Added option to force recalculation of all formulas after finishing a file. If you find your generated file shows incorrect values in formula fields, try enabling this feature. Please note that this may break on xlsx formulas not supported by POI 3.7 yet. Your best bet is to try
- Added option to leave styles on existing template cells unchanged. This feature is particularly useful if you need Kettle to add/replace data in an otherwise pre-styled and pre-designed Excel file.
Fixes in Version 1.1
- Thanks to Dan for pointing out a bug that would cause an NPE when the incoming row set was empty. Fixed in 1.1.
To install the plugin download the appropriate version of the plugin, unpack it and copy the ExcelWriter folder to the plugins/steps folder of your Kettle installation. Once you restart Kettle, the plugin should appear in the “Output” section of your transformations.
How to use
The Excel Writer acts like any other output plugin. To get the hang of its behavior, check out the sample transformations included in the “samples” folder of the download files.
I hope you find the plugin useful, enjoy